HOME BUYING PROCEDURES IN THE PIONEER VALLEY:
(1) The buyer signs "Offer to Purchase" which is accompanied by an initial deposit (usually $100.00)
(2) The real estate agent submits offer and handles necessary negotiations.
(3) The seller signs offer when accepted.
(4) The buyer signs real estate agreement which is accompanied by a full deposit (a minimum of 5% of the
purchase price) which is held in escrow until the closing. (Unless V.A.)
-- Usual contingencies: obtaining a mortgage, structural/mechanical inspection, and
-- Average time until closing (transfer title): 30-60 days.
(5) The seller signs real estate agreement upon acceptance.
(6) Application is made for mortgage at lending institutions.
(7) Arrangement is made for structural/mechanical and termite inspections within ten days of
executing the real estate agreement by the buyer with an inspector of his/her choice.
(8) The lender orders credit report and verifies buyer's employment. If both are satisfactory, lender
orders appraisal of property.
(9) The lender approves mortgage application and forwards documentation to the closing attorney.
(10) The attorney examines the title, orders a survey and coordinates other necessary
documentation including tax, oil, water and sewer adjustments.
(11) The seller and buyer contact utility companies to arrange for service to be transferred and
(12) The attorney informs the buyer of funds needed for closing.
(13) Insurance agent for the buyer arranges for hazard insurance policy to be taken to closing.
(14) Closing is customarily held in the office of the buyer's attorney or at the Registry of Deeds.
(15) The buyer is given copy of closing statement by attorney.
(16) The buyer usually takes possession of home right after closing.